2/2/11

The Greely Expedition

The Steamer Proteus 1881 from Wikipedia & U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
 You may know that I have a thing for the 19th Century.
Especially the explorers & scientists.

Last night I settled in with a cup-o-the-Kraken and American Experience's feature The Greely Expedition. Before the show, all I knew of Greely was that he was an American who went to the Arctic & something about rumors of cannibalism. Just enough to pique my interest...

In 1881 Greely led 25 men into the Arctic on a scientific mission. (They also wanted beat the Brits' record for traveling furthest North). After  3 years and a series of bad luck coupled with poor decisions only 6 men returned.  
 
The 6 Survivors of the Greely Expedition. #22 is Greely. Photo from WikiPedia Commons.

If this sounds like your cup of tea, I've embedded the episode below.  Or click through to the PBS page if you would rather watch it over there.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like the kind of show I would love to watch.... I'll have to be on the look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I have not heard of this expedition!!
    Have to check it out
    Thanks
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete