12/31/10

My new friend Monsieur Lapinou


L'histoire de Monsieur Lapinou from svitrolica.etsy.com

M. Lapinou has a bit of a muddle. His text translates to "Mister Bunny found it very difficult to ride his bicycle, for his legs were quite short." 

Looking back on 2010 I've felt a bit like this poor fellow more than I'd like to admit. The ideas are in place, the desire is strong, the path is clear, the tools are ready but....something is missing

Last Dec 31st I thought my missing link was Time. This is true up to a point. But even when I had a free moment, I rarely got moving. Why? For a few reasons:

An impossibly messy studio - Even when I'm not wasting time trying to find specific supplies the disorder weighs on me.  This year I've had several false starts at cleaning up. Then just as I am getting somewhere, life kicks in and I have to stop before making any permanent progress.

Since the space can't get any larger, the stash needs to get smaller. This is my new plan to control the clutter in 2011.

Exhaustion - Most days I looked forward to late evening for tackling my projects. Many days, I didn't make it that far. I just don't have the energy I used to. Some of it is age, but most is minor health  problems I created by treating my body like crap. 

I hope that by continuing some dr. recommended changes, plus eating better & getting more sleep  (maybe, just maybe) I can get this old horse running again.

Constant Interruptions - originally not on this list. But having to stop & restart this post six times I realize that it should be. Not sure how to tackle this one yet....

Sorry about all the whinging - warning a bit more ahead... 2010 has been the year of missed opportunities. I let too many things slide that that really mattered to me & for months I have been really disappointed with myself. I kept thinking if only I had more time..... 

Now I see that it wouldn't have mattered. I truly need to restructure my life. I think that means a few months of tear down (in so many ways) before rebuilding. Hopefully new opportunities will arise this year. And hopefully this time I will be ready for them.

Now back to Monsieur Lapinou.....what should this poor fellow do?

Should he be content to with his lot? Enjoy the view?  Ask for a push? Sell the bike & buy some skates? Donate it to a long legged friend? Build some stilts and try to reach the pedals?

If you were this little fellow's friend what would you suggest? If you'd like to tell him yourself, you can find him over at Svitrolica.etsy.com.

By the way, Best Wishes to all for a Happy New Year!

9 comments:

  1. If I were his friend I would give him a little push. You can do it, if there is a will there is a way. Go, go, go!

    I wish you a successful and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so relate to this post with missing time, lost oportunities and such. Year before last I had cluttered studio on my list. In March that year I went through my little studio with a vengeance - if it wasn't used in a year it's in the box for my destash give away. I was embarrassed to be giving away BOXES of stuff.

    It was a horrible experience to go through as for some reason it was emotionally and physically draining but it was one of the best things I have done for myself creatively to date. It's amazing how much easier it is to create things when you have less.

    Good luck in all your endeavors this year! I'll be "seeing" you around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. I think small changes are the best sometimes --- I can completely get down on myself for not doing more and completely lose sight of the fact that sometimes, what I'm already doing can be enough.

    And I would give this fellow a bit of a push -- maybe stand by and walk with him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too was overwhelmed in my studio. Just way too much stuff. So I buckled down yesterday and tackled the debris!! And lassoed it into submission. At least I can find my easel now and a new blank canvas is waiting for me. Woot!! Woot!
    As for the rabbit...ditch the bike and get some skates. Quicker and more flexible!! Time for a change!!
    Happy New Year dearest one
    Hugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's probably small consolation that you are not alone in your challenges. I have been working on my messy studio for about 6 months. I'm finding that getting rid of stuff that "I might need" is very hard to do.

    One thing that helps to clear out some things gives me so much pleasure: I put together little craft boxes for all my nieces and nephews. In fact, I'm delivering one box today. It's like a mini treasure hunt for them!

    All best in the New Year, Stacey! If you need moral support, just let me know. I'll give you a push!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to Stacey. maybe that is why we all have the common love of art? Or women? not sure, but you have found the right words to describe it. Me, not to much for the correct words, I writer I will never be...big hub for you sister...this to shall pass. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! This hits home! I have on my to-do list to come up with a new plan to simplify my life.
    There must be better way to juggle marketing and creating.
    I have done some reorg over the last week and it has helped.
    If you find a magic potion - please let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, I think you are feeling quite similar to the way I was when I doodled the dern thing. (;

    I'm glad Mr Laapinou has found a home where he will be uinderstood and loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can really relate to this too, unfortunately! Not being sure exactly how to make it work, not having enough energy, blaming various things instead of dealing with yourself - and I've desperately wanted to move but haven't been able to.

    When I came back home after New Year's, I felt claustrophobic in my apartment (which is not even small). I had to start a much-needed clearing out of cabinets, wardrobes etc (there are sooo many cabinets in this place! some containing avalanches waiting to happen). I realised there'd be a domino effect once I started re-organising it all - and I'm actually glad it happened, that I couldn't just clean ONE cabinet but had to do them all.

    Now I feel I can breathe a little bit easier and I also sort of feel prepared for moving, whenever that day finally comes, since I've cleared out so much crap (and so many clothes I don't really use) and I actually decided to keep a lot of things in storage boxes. Now I'm just waiting for the day when I can take my boxes and leave :)

    ReplyDelete