8/8/09

Things slowly come together


It was not like the beginning of a journey; it was like the beginning of a dream

I'm so happy to have come across this line in The First Men On The Moon by H.G.Wells tonight. After 30 years, I've returned to his wonderful stories in search of a catalyst for his author's box. As soon as I read that line, things finally clicked.

On the aside, I can't remember the last time I've enjoyed reading this much. While exploring the Island of Dr. Moreau, The Invisible Man & The Time Machine, I've been returned to an earlier time in my life when everything was fresh & new. I was probably about 10 when I first read Wells' books. Some of my earliest TV memories are of Claude Rains as The Invisible Man, Charles Laughton & Bela Lugosi in 1933 The Island of Lost Souls and other early adaptations of his works. I remember how thrilled I was to find there were books that came first... in my local library - woohoo! One thing that strikes me years later is how accessible the stories are. Unlike other pieces written in the 1800s, the language is clean yet riveting - with just enough adventure to keep a kid's interest.

At last I have a line to focus on. Now the box can slowly form itself in the back of my mind while I find the time to build it....

On another note, I haven't had much free time this week. Still playing with the Melange prompt Archetype when I get a few minutes here & there. The pic at the top is a sneak peek. Here's a another one:


If you want to see some cool interpretations by other artists, click HERE & check out the links in the comments section. Or add your own if you want.


I finally got a grip on Illustration Friday's prompt, Impatience, tonight. Another fun challenge, but I've been struggling with it. Finally came together in my head but only had time to lay out a few lines on canvas. Sorry about the bad lighting.


I hope to finish these before the challenges roll over (Wed & Fri.) but who knows what, ehem, distractions (work, family, sleep) will have to come first.... Wish me luck!

Just a couple notes:


15% off sale in all 3 of my Etsy Shops this weekend. If you're into art & jewelry start at ArtSnark's Artifacts. There's also free shipping on ACEOs & books. In my shop's "announcements" you will find links to my 2 supplies shops, as well as a list of Melange Team Members who are also having a 15% off sale all weekend.

Plus if you would like to be entered in this Thursday's random drawing, just leave a comment on this blog before noon (EST) 8/13. 1 lucky winner gets this piece of art, Alice with Tulips. Contest is open worldwide with free shipping.


11 comments:

  1. Very COOL Snark, and intriguing! Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice...I love the colors. You have the best posts, I swear. You really need to write!!!!! I ALWAYS enjoy my visit here.
    ~xx~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving the sneek peeks..can't wait to see the fnished piece and yes do I ever remember "Claude Rains as The Invisible Man, Charles Laughton & Bela Lugosi in 1933 The Island of Lost Souls"

    great memories ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Impatience" is so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a talented lady in so many ways.... lovely work Stacey :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work! I found your blog from etsy from the forums. Thanks for the info on illustration Fridays - I think I'll take part soon.

    Elspeth @ sighandgroan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ta for those sneak peaks...I'm ashamed to say that I've never read HG Wells...but I'm going to!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stacey~ Your Melange piece is looking to be quite beautiful!! Can't wait to see it!! Thanks so much for the luck you sent my way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your drawings in blue here look very promising, very intriguing! I look forward to seeing how these finish out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alice with tulips is fantastic. ExcellenHugs
    SueAnn

    ReplyDelete