8/24/11

Workshop Wednesday - copper etching continued

etched copper bracelet by Holly Raynor Hancock

Posting photos for "Wordless Wednesday" when I realized there was way to much text going on. So instead I'm sharing a few pictures from the Copper Etching & Cold Connections class I took earlier this month over at the brick & mortar shop for eBeads.com.

Another student, Jennifer, decided to make her version of the copper etched bracelet from the class promo-photo (shown above). She kindly let me take some pics along the way.


punching copper sheets into rounds


Unfortunately I missed a couple of steps as I was busy playing with my metal sheets. Jennifer next gave the copper disks a dome shape.

filler photo of worktable

I also forgot to take a photo of prepping the copper for the etching bath. Sorry about that - I was half asleep that morning.


Letting the chemicals do their thing


Bracelet components after etching & cleaning. Assembly begins...


After assembly, it was time to "antique" the piece with Liver of Sulfur.


The final bracelet after a soak in the "aging" solution. You can control how dark you want your piece to be. See Holly's bracelet on the top of this post for a darker finish.

If you're near Tampa, Florida and want to try out this fun technique be sure sign up for the Sept. 10th class. For details, call the number on the ebeads website or check out the class calendar next month (right now August is still up). If you do go, I'll see you there - I can't wait to play with these materials again! 

On the aside, what do you think of making Workshop Wednesday a regular feature? I can post tutorials, techniques & lots of fun links. If you have some workshop photos or tutorials that you'd like to share here, just drop me a note. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the bracelet.. lots of work goes into all the punching/filing/etching/patina/assembly. Beautiful job!

    Great idea Stacey on the workshops/tutorials. I will be sure to pass on whatever I may come across.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love workshop Wednesday if there is tutorials to go along with it and not just advertisements of workshops. I am sure you would make it cool...Go for it!

    ReplyDelete